Thursday, August 27, 2009

Ventriloquism

Whenever I performed in front of the young audiences, I longed to see their responses. Being a puppeteer, however; I always had to stay backstage and handle puppets. It was not possible to face the audiences, and see them responding to my show. I could here them though; and when I heard their excitement and enthrallment, a small part of my longing was satisfied.

However, I could always hear the audience’s excitement and enthrallment, which nevertheless encouraged me during the performance.

Puppets are all that the audiences can see and hear! But for me, they are the one who bridge the gap between me and the audiences.

Earlier when I had started off with my hobby it took me a few years to realize that I had to be a puppeteer since I work with puppets more often; despite the fact that I always wanted to be a ventriloquist. The best part of being a ventriloquist is that they can see as well as hear the audiences’ spur-of-the-moment responses at the same time.

Well! When I compared a ventriloquist and a puppeteer I found many similarities between them.
Ventriloquists are like puppeteers. Both use sense of humour, and sentiment in their shows. It is all about storytelling, magic, and illusion which mesmerize the audiences. Then why can’t a puppeteer take a role of a ventriloquist.
Once I realized I wanted to get out of the box and stop calling myself just a puppeteer, I began practising ventriloquism too.

I understood how puppetry moves an audience, and tried to apply the same methods, and trick to ventriloquism. Being a performer, I learned to have the audiences in my pocket. I need to “wow” them again and again.
After all the audiences should have seen and heard something unique and feeling worth for a show.

2 comments:

  1. Good to know something new today...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ventriloquism has always fascinated me more as a viewer and somehow I always thought that you had to have magic to be able to do that! I love puppets too..though I have to say I'm not half as passionate as you are! It's definitely an art and quite the best way of story-telling as is prose. In fact on certain levels it is so much better understood!

    ReplyDelete